Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damehasajojajo

Working with Starsan

Hello Everyone,

This week will mark my first time using Starsan to sanitize my equipment. According to my rookie calculations, dilluting 6ml (just over a teaspoon) in one gallon of water should allow me to use it as I would MRB One Step. Given that I wasn't a math major in college, I wanted to double check these numbers with the community to see if this is how others are using it. Also, I've read that some people reuse it - if so, how many uses could one get from a 1 gallon batch?

I use the small bottle of starsan. It has a 1/4oz mark.
I pour 1/4oz of starsan in 1.25 gallons of water.

If you use clean/soft water....Starsan can be reused several times.
I used bottled spring water, and have used the same batch for a couple of months. It is supposed to turn cloudy when it is no longer good.

I like starsan much more than one step. It doesn't leave spots and residue, and doesn't discolor the stainless.

Good luck.

Yes, you are correct. !/5 oz (6 ml) is the proper dilution for 1 gallon of water. Husteak's method is also correct and easy to do with the small Starsan bottle. I also use the small bottle and just use a bit less than the 1/4 oz mark in 1 gallon of water. so far that has worked fine for me.

I use distilled water with starsan. I have reused it through three or sometimes four brewings. Thanks for your attention. TonyK

Husteak wrote:

If you use clean/soft water....Starsan can be reused several times.I used bottled spring water, and have used the same batch for a couple of months. It is supposed to turn cloudy when it is no longer good.

How do you store it once you have it mixed up? I do up 2-3 gallons worth, use it on whatever I am working on that day and if I leave it in the bucket, but the next morning it will be cloudy every single time. So, how is it I cant make it over night, but you are going on 2 months+? What am I missing?

Thanks!

I pour it into empty water jugs with a funnel.
Then store it in a closet.

I love StarSan. And yes 6mL is what you use for a gallon of water. One gallon of this solution works for about 2 batches or so for me (2.13 gallon batches)

Word of advice...DO NOT LET IT SIT ON COUNTER TOPS! It will discolor it. I found that out lol. Immediately rinse and wipe your counter tops with water if any Star San splashes on it.

It is a lot better than One Step cuz it works in 30 seconds contact time.

Another good tip I learned is you can use it in spray bottles for instant sanitizing. It's no rinse just like One Step and it doesn't effect head retention or flavor at all. Best stuff ever.

I don't reuse it simply because it's readily available for me and the concentrate lasts so long. I just whip up a solution of it when I run out. It has s good shelf life too after it's mixed.

+1 to spray bottles. I have a spray bottle that I use all the time with star san in it. It has pretty much replaced my sanitizing bucket. I rinse the thing off with water than spray with star san and let it sit on a paper towel or sanitized plate until i'm ready to use it.

I've been a little concerned with all the foam in my carboy that isn't forced out, but haven't noticed any ill effects so far. Otherwise, it's a great product, and my understanding is that it was developed with beer brewing specifically in mind.

I switched to it for the last couple brews with no ill effects. As all the seasoned professional brewers in here will tell you - dont fear the foam...

Yeah the yeast LOVE the foam, it work as a nutrient/energizer I never rise and it always turns out great.

melbaLT4 wrote:

Yeah the yeast LOVE the foam, it work as a nutrient/energizer I never rise and it always turns out great.

I love starsan in spray bottle to sanitize bottles.
But, I've still liked one-step for sanitizing the fermenter.
However, reading some of the posts in this thread, I can see me going to star san exclusively.

I've been using One-Step on the keg and utensils and StarSan when bottling. However, waiting an hour to santize the keg is a pain after putting it in various positions to ensure complete sanitazion.

I'm starting to see no reason why I can fill the keg up with a quart of StarSan and do it in 1/10 of the time. Plus you can pour the StarSan back into it's jug for re-use.

After the one step is dissolved (10 min), it only needs 30-60sec contact time also. The 10 minutes is just to dissolve the powder.

I do my keg in about 3 min with starsan. I don't put it in different positions...I just swish it around real good every 30-60 sec's...Never had a problem.

For the people that don't like to foam on starsan - five star chemicals also makes saniclean. Same as starsan with far less foam. It costs quite a bit more though. I have never used it. Read some good reviews online. Only downside seems to be cost.

BugLaden wrote:

I've been using One-Step on the keg and utensils and StarSan when bottling.

Me, too.

I once did a calculation of the costs. When you buy "large" containers:

StarSan: about 15 cents per gallon of solution
OneStep: about 11 cents per gallon of solution
Iodophor: about 4 cents per gallon of solution

If price were no issue, I would use StarSan more than I do. It is truly no-rinse under all conditions. It can be stored for a long time and reused. And it can be used on every sort of material. I have a bottle that has lasted me for several years. I try to use less expensive sanitizers for most things.

One-Step cleans and sanitizes with oxygen. Thus it is no-rinse when it is used on primary fermenters. Any oxygen left behind is good for your yeast (as the manufacturer tells us on the website ) It also cleans, so the left-over solution can be used for cleanup on brew day. It can also be stored away for 7 days (or over a month if refrigerated). It might not be the best sanitizer after primary fermentation is done because there would be a slight risk of oxidation. But I really don't hesitate to use it for bottling if I happen to have some solution sitting around that needs to be used.

Because Iodophor is so cheap, I prefer it for bottling and most everything else. It does turn plastics a brown color (which can be removed with bleach if it bothers you).

BugLaden wrote:

Does the Starsan cost reflect that fact that you can re-use it several times?

Not at all - and that's such a good point. All these sanitizers can be reused but they have different shelf lives and everybody has their own techniques, brewing routines, etc. It is entirely possible to exploit StarSan's longer shelf life, for example, and it might be cheaper to use. Or it might not.

The costs I listed are simply how much it costs to make up the solution (using prices, estimates, etc. that were available to me).

EDIT: The price of the water was not considered at all. I sort of assumed it to be "constant". But there are some who insist on using distilled water for StarSan to increase the shelf life. That obviously would increase the cost of StarSan by a lot - depending on your source of distilled water, I suppose.