Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TonyK

Coopers Kits.

Have any of you brewers tried the Coopers Kits? They are said to produce six gallon batches. My local brewing supply store has just started to stock this line of kits. Thanks for your attention. TonyK

Swenocha?

Edit: Sorry. I guess Swenocha hasn't bought one - just borrowed a picture off the internet for another post.

My understanding is the Cooper's Kit is as simplistic as Mr Beer, but makes 5 gallons. Cost is about $129 if I remember right. You can see a video demonstration of the Cooper's Kit on Craigtube.com.

Are you referring to the Cooper's equipment, or the Coopers HME? I haven't used either, but I get the impression that the equipment is similar to the Mr. B equipment (except for the size), and that their HMEs are pretty similar to the Mr. B HME as well. I can't speak to the quality (or lack of) of their HME, but I've used Munton's and Ironmaster and pretty much just split it in half, added some dme (and maybe hops and grains), and put in two Mr. B fermkegs. Some here have spoken of using one can of HME in one Mr. B fermkeg without the addition of any DME (just like the Mr. B seasonal cans). I haven't used the Munton's Gold kits, but they (and one other HME kit that I can't remember the name of) actually are two cans of HME, so they should be even easier to split.

I am currently fermenting a Cooper's Dark Ale. The instructions do say that you brew a six gallon batch with one can, but I squeezed it into my 5 gallon fermentor. I will post results after I condition, but it was just as easy to do one of these as it was to do a Mr Beer kit. It was just a larger volume.

Did the Cooper Australian as a 5 gallon run. The yeast action was awesome. The finished quality was along the lines of MB, Munton's and other canned HMEs. It is an extract kit that is a basic brew, good but not great.

i've done several coopers hme brews. they have been pretty good. better than the mrb for me. i've made the wheat beers and druaght beers several times. all have turned out pretty good.

i've tried muntons wheat beers and they are pretty good as well. the wheat beer is really good.

i've been doing the home brewery kits lately. thier traditional wheat beer kit is really good. i run the bag of malt through a sifter to get the hops pellets out of it and use my own hops. i have used u.k. kent golden pellet and leaf hops in one(very good beer), amarillo pellet and leaf hops in one(very good beer) and czech saaz pellet and leaf hops(dry hopped with the czech hops as well on this one) and it will get bottled tomorrow.

i'll start dry hopping everything from now on out with what ever hops i used to make it with. it really makes a difference.

when you get used to brewing start using lme as a base and add your own hops. it'll make you understand what the hops are adding to the taste of the beer you make.

I made the coopers real ale and did the full 6 gallons. I am impressed I will make it again. I really liked it.

I have done one Coopers wheat and split it to two Mr Beer kegs kept one as regular wheat and put raspberries in the other keg both came out well.
I have a Coopers Irish stoute I will be making in the next month I will add Mr. Creamy Brown to it and see how that comes out for the wife as her St. Patrickds day beer.

I love the size, simplicity and design of the Mr. Beer fermenter. But if you want to make bigger batches (and/or do double Mr. Beer batches) the Coopers fermenter is awesome.

I love the Coopers design. I like the big opening, I like the handles. I like the spigot with the sediment reducer. I like the fact that you are able to pour boiling water in it without having to worry about damaging the plastic. In fact, you can sanitize it with boiling water if you like.

The lid is clear to allow you to see what's going on in the fermenter and it is super easy to rack with the spigot. You can even do a double Mr. Beer batch and rack and cold crash or batch prime in two Mr. Beer kegs so you don't have to haul the thing around.

One downside is that the Coopers fermenter is not tinted brown so you should keep it out of direct sunlight and possibly wrap something around it. If Mr. Beer ever makes a larger fermenter I hope they include similar features. I'll stick with my small fermenters most of the time but I will occasionally make double batches in my Coopers. But, hey, whatever works for each person and makes good beer is what's important.

One thing I noticed about the Cooper's basic brewing instructions was that they were even simpler than Mr Beer's if there are no added Hops and Grains.

I guess this supports the prior post  with the fermenter being  nice to use for this, but I have only used the 2.5 gal one.

I still like the LBK better though. For me - I like the size/portability, I like the spigot better for filling bottles (no wand), and it fits in my cooler chest for lagers. 

STEP 1: Mix

Dissolve Coopers Real Ale, Brew Enhancer 1 and Light Dry Malt in 3 litres of hot water.

Fill fermenter with cool water to the 23 litre mark and stir.

Sprinkle supplied yeast over the wort surface and fit the lid.

Ferment temperature should be in the range 21C-27C.

Bottle when specific gravity has reached 1.012 (or two readings the same over 24 hours).

amazon has the coopers sparkling ale on sale, 6 gal recipe for around 30.00, and I think there's other ingredients that have to be included separately. still not a bad price for a 6 gal. HME