Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bpgreen

I forgot to add the coriander

I started a wheat beer Saturday and just realized that I meant to add some coriander and forgot. Can I add it late in the process? If so, do I need to boil it for a few minutes to sanitize?

You can add it. You don't need to sanitize it just crush it and toss it in.

I'm thinking you might want to boil them in a wee bit of water, not for sanitiation, but to grab some flavor out. Just a thought mind you...

yankeedag wrote:

I'm thinking you might want to boil them in a wee bit of water, not for sanitiation, but to grab some flavor out. Just a thought mind you...

+1

I would steep the crushed spice in vodka or any other neutral spirit for a few minutes and add the spice and liquid to the ferment. You may get less flavor than a full boil, but more than if you left it out entirely.YMMV

Tabasco wrote:

I like malt, hops, yeast, water. what's coriander? heh heh

Coriander is the seed from the plant that is sometimes called cilantro or Chinese parsley (I'm guessing you knew that).

Most of the time, I stay pretty close to the German purity law approach, and don't usually care for adding things like fruit or flavoring to beers, but I had a Hoegaarden once and I found the taste rather refreshing, so I looked into it and the taste I couldn't quite place was coriander.

So now, when I make wheat beers, I'll sometimes add coriander. I'll also sometimes add either orange zest or orange extract.

bpgreen wrote:

Tabasco wrote:

I like malt, hops, yeast, water. what's coriander? heh heh

Coriander is the seed from the plant that is sometimes called cilantro or Chinese parsley (I'm guessing you knew that).

Most of the time, I stay pretty close to the German purity law approach, and don't usually care for adding things like fruit or flavoring to beers, but I had a Hoegaarden once and I found the taste rather refreshing, so I looked into it and the taste I couldn't quite place was coriander.

So now, when I make wheat beers, I'll sometimes add coriander. I'll also sometimes add either orange zest or orange extract.

I thought I was only kidding, but when I read your answer, I realised I really didn't know what coriander is, thanks.
Funny, I like cilantro on Vietnamese sandwiches ... so, if the coriander taste like that, I guess I like it, just not too much of it like what was in that hefwiezer whatever I got at Trader Joe's. I couldn't drink that ... glad I only got one 21 oz bottle.

yankeedag wrote:

if done right, it adds a citrus taste to it.

That probably is a good clue that that hef I got from Trader Joe's wasn't done correctly ... it didn't taste citrusy, it tasted skanky. Probably went bad in shipment somehow.

I should give that kind of beer another try.