Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brew City

Speckled Heifer - American Cream Ale

I purchased this as a kit from Northern Brewer. It is based on New Glarus Brewing's Spotted Cow, a Wisconsin Favorite. It's a partial mash recipe and was my first attempt at partial mashing. I did my mash on the stovetop and it worked pretty well.

Here's the recipe and process:

Recipe: Speckled Heifer
Style: Cream Ale
Brew Date: 10/16/2010
Batch 5.00 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.048 OG
Estimated FG 1.012 FG
Recipe Bitterness 23 IBU
Recipe Color 3° SRM
Alcohol by Volume 4.6%
Alcohol by Weight 3.6%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
0.25 lb Barley, Flaked Grain Mashed
0.50 lb CaraPils Grain Mashed
0.25 lb Flaked Corn Adjunct Mashed
2.00 lb Two-row (US) Grain Mashed
1.00 lb Briess DME - Pilsen Light Extract Extract
3.15 lb Briess LME - Pilsen Light Extract Extract

Quantity Hop Type Time
0.75 oz Cluster Pellet 45 minutes
0.25 oz Cluster Pellet 15 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Ale yeast Yeast US-05 Safale Ale
1.00 unit Finings Fining 1/2 Whirfloc tablet

Recipe Notes
- Heated 5 quartes of water to 162 on stovetop, added crushed grains using a nylon paint strainer bag. Mash temp went to 152.
- Let the mash sit for 60 minutes, then returned to heat and brought temp to 170.
- During mash, heated 5 quarts of water to 170 for sparge
- Removed grain bag from mash kettle and let drain
- Held grain bag over boil kettle and poured sparge water, 2 cups at a time.
- Added all of the wort to boil kettle, brought volume in kettle to 4.5 gallons and brought to a boil
- Once boiling, removed from heat and added LME and DME, returned to heat and brought back to a boil.
- Boiled wort for 60 minutes with hop additions at 45 and 15.
- Cooled using an ice bath, getting it to 80 degrees in 20 minutes.
- Topped off fermenter, temp at pitching was 65, aerate, pitch, aerate.

OG reading was 1.050.

So, I have a few questions about this.

NB had a predicted OG of 1.042. QBrew predicted 1.048 and I got 1.050. Was NB expecting less efficiency from the mash? I'm not sure how much efficiency would affect a partial mash brew since I've never done this before. Any insights?

This definitely has me itching to attempt an all-grain batch. I may hit up the hardware store to convert my old cooler and give it a try.

I even had a boilover. This was my first time using my Bayou Classic and it took awhile to figure out what heat to get it going at. The boilover happened before I added the LME/DME so the damage was limited to some of my mashed wort. I was expecting to lose a little gravity from that, too. After I got past the hot break, I found the right temp and it went real smooth from there.

Looks like a good recipe. Glad you had fun, would love to try an all grain someday myself.

Brew City wrote:

NB had a predicted OG of 1.042. QBrew predicted 1.048 and I got 1.050. Was NB expecting less efficiency from the mash? I'm not sure how much efficiency would affect a partial mash brew since I've never done this before. Any insights?

Just bumping this. Do any of you with experience Partial Mashing have any thoughts?

Just yesterday, I was thinking of hunting for a Spotted Cow Clone recipe and here the borg blesses me with this recipe.

All hail the borg!

I'm not in a position to do mashes just yet, but this will be high on my list when I do.

Hydrometer reading last night was at 1.012. Spot on! (Pun intended) :)

I'm going to bottle this up and can't wait to start drinking. The hydrometer sample was fantastic - golden in color, a nice creamy mouthfeel and taste, very tasty.

Patience is going to be tough with this one. Luckily, it shouldn't take too long to condition. I'll probably start drinking it 2 weeks after bottling.

Brew City,

Is that the mash process that NB suggested? (In terms of the sparge method of pouring water over grains.)

If my math is right...that is 1.66 qts of water per pound of grain. I've read that most use either 1.25 to 1.5 qts per pound. Was that the suggested amount per NB?

I'm only asking to learn. I am going to do my first PM this weekend.

Hope that brew turns out good for you!

Yeah, I followed the NB instructions for PMing. I noticed they were slightly different than the other PM methods I have seen, but it worked well. I slightly overshot my OG, so it must have worked well. There were no off-tastes in the hydrometer sample.

Good luck with your PM!

First pour took place last night. This is a DARN FINE BEER! I don't think it is that similar to Spotted Cow, but man was it good. It's the smoothest beer I have made, and it went down WAY too easy.

It's my wife's favorite that I have made and is definitely in my top 3 at this point. I'm glad I made 5 gallons and will have to get another 5 going in the coming weeks.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Congratulations! I was just looking at this recipe on NB site yesterday, converting it to 2.4 gallon. Cream Ale is one of my house brews, but have never used the corn, so naturally I'm curious to give it a shot. I'm glad to hear yours turned out so well.