Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Peter G

Call Dibs on our winter seasonal - Dark Strong Ale

ad-darkstrongcans.jpg

Our winter release is just about in stock. The new Dark Strong Ale produces a dark, robust and rewarding taste that features chocolate, caramel and wheat malts coupled with American hops and a higher than average ABV (about 6.5%).

Click here to call dibs!

Guest System Admin

I wonder what the yeast is.

G

hey I just noticed Im fully fermented now! does that mean I get to make out with 7 of 9 now :laugh:

I let them know I was in for two. I figure they're good for a 5 gallon sized batch. might toss in a pound of DME

pocketjr wrote:

I want to call dibs! Dammit! :(

pocket
I would order one for you then forward it on to you.
But after shipping to me then shipping to you, you'd probably be doubling the price of a can of the stuff. :(
Z

Zobl wrote:

pocketjr wrote:

I want to call dibs! Dammit! :(

pocket
I would order one for you then forward it on to you.
But after shipping to me then shipping to you, you'd probably be doubling the price of a can of the stuff. :(
Z

Thanks Z, I may have a solution in the works anyways ;)

So, I'm not sure what the fuss was about with the "dibs". It seems anyone can order the Winter Seasonal at this point...

Nope still in Dibs, though given that I got my buy email last night I guess you could dibs it then buy it the same day.

I think you can only put it in your cart if you go to if from the e-mail they sent out.

myndflyte wrote:

I think you can only put it in your cart if you go to if from the e-mail they sent out.

I think you are correct. I went to the link from my email, then once in my shopping cart, I changed the quantity to TWO. It worked, so I assume there is no quantity restriction. Hope this is as good as the Fall Seasonal.

There is a limit of 5. I called dibs too, but I want to add it to my Brew Club Order to get $5.00 Shipping & I can't. :( So I guess I will wait until Nov 1. :blink:

yankeedag wrote:

suxz to be me. I put dibz on a few and got nada.

You mean no email?
hmmm...
Maybe you typed in the email address wrong or something?
try it again

Brewed mine today. Batch #1 straight-up. Batch #2 added 1/2 lbs. DME. That is some dark Scheiße!!! :blink:

Was gonna brew mine today, but bottling got in the way. Next brew opportunity will be friday.. maybe.

I brewed mine yesterday. My only concern is that according to qbrew, the OG should be 1.065 and my reading was 1.056.

panchor wrote:

I brewed mine yesterday. My only concern is that according to qbrew, the OG should be 1.065 and my reading was 1.056.

How did you put it into Qbrew? I don't see the Dark Strong Ale listed. :unsure:

panchor wrote:

You can download the latest Qbrew database file at Qbrew file

It has the seasonal refills.

Okay. Got it downloaded and entered data for the Winter Seasonal - Dark Strong Ale. IBUs should be should be 66. Qbrew is showing 26. SRM and ABV match up. Any ideas?

Recipe MB Winter Seasonal - Dark Strong Ale
Style Generic Ale
Brewer packerduf
Batch 2.13 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.067 OG
Estimated FG 1.017 FG
Recipe Bitterness 26 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 6.5%
Recipe Color 40° SRM

Ingredients
3.75 lb MrB. Seasonal Dark Strong Ale Extract
1.00 oz MrB. Seasonal Dark Strong Ale Pellet 5 minutes

For the seasonals, use 3oz as the hops weight, boiling time 5 minutes.

This is what I have:
Dark Strong Ale
---------------
Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.065 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 67 IBU
Recipe Color: 49° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.016
Alcohol by Volume: 6.3%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.9%

Ingredients
-----------
MrB. Seasonal Dark Strong Ale 3.75 lb, Extract, Extract

MrB. Seasonal Dark Strong Ale 3.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

panchor wrote:

For the seasonals, use 3oz as the hops weight, boiling time 5 minutes.

This is what I have:
Dark Strong Ale
---------------
Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.065 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 67 IBU
Recipe Color: 49° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.016
Alcohol by Volume: 6.3%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.9%

Ingredients
-----------
MrB. Seasonal Dark Strong Ale 3.75 lb, Extract, Extract

MrB. Seasonal Dark Strong Ale 3.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Thanks Panchor. I assumed this would already be factored in for the Seasonals when they were added to Qbrew. I guess we know what happens when we ASS-U-ME. I appreciate your reply.

I brewed mine last night. The wort smelled excellomundo. I'll bet you dollars for donuts that this, my third seasonal brewed, will be my third seasonal loved.

I'm pretty much through drinking the Fall Seasonal American Brown. I've been savoring them two at a time. The first bottle I thought "nice, not my style, but nice". Later bottles I thought, "I love it".

I love opening up to untried-before beers. There is more to life than the dry, very hoppy, lighter ales, which are my favorite. I probably should have conditioned the Seasonal Brown more, but there is a lot to be said for 2-2-2 or maybe 2-2-4, and drink with full flavors exploding at you. It has flavors more complex than I normally brew, and I'm really enjoying it.

Tabasco wrote:

I brewed mine last night. The wort smelled excellomundo. I'll bet you dollars for donuts that this, my third seasonal brewed, will be my third seasonal loved.

I'm pretty much through drinking the Fall Seasonal American Brown. I've been savoring them two at a time. The first bottle I thought "nice, not my style, but nice". Later bottles I thought, "I love it".

I love opening up to untried-before beers. There is more to life than the dry, very hoppy, lighter ales, which are my favorite. I probably should have conditioned the Seasonal Brown more, but there is a lot to be said for 2-2-2 or maybe 2-2-4, and drink with full flavors exploding at you. It has flavors more complex than I normally brew, and I'm really enjoying it.

That Fall Seasonal was good. I actually liked it right at 2 weeks conditioned. I must have...I drank most of them then! LOL. It did change up a little as it aged, but in my book it was very good young.
I just brewed up the Winter this past weekend. I am very much looking forward to this one too.

panchor wrote:

I just bottled this yesterday. Now the wait :(

...the hardest part

Zobl wrote:

Mines only 6 days in the fermenter...

So is mine. I tasted a little bit last night. Man this is going to be tasty.

So for those that have bottle primed this, how much did you end up using? The last 3 batches I've made I just followed the MB instructions and used .75 tsp for each 12 oz bottle. But now that I've looked at some priming calculators, I think I've used too much sugar.

So how much sugar did you use to prime?

myndflyte wrote:

So for those that have bottle primed this, how much did you end up using?

I usually just use the MB recommendations, and have always been satisfied with my carb levels. However, one of my recent batches seemed over-carbed - all bottles uniformly. So when I bottled my winter seasonal, I used the priming calculator. I hope it doesn't turn out under-carbed. To stay within style guidelines, I primed as follows (if my memory serves me correctly):

1 - 1 liter PET @ 1 1/4 tsp.

4 - 22 oz. glass @ 3/4 tsp. ea.

8 - 12 oz. glass @ 1/2 tsp. ea.

Seems low to me, but crossing fingers for success. Maybe should have gone 1/2, 1, and 1 1/2. We'll see.

Just started a batch of the Winter Seasonal... the hops smell great! I always use the Mr Beer Sugar Measure for priming 12oz glass bottles, seems to work well.

Well mine has been bottled for two weeks now and could not wait any longer, so last night I tried one. Thought it was very good. Think I like it a bit more than the Fall Seasonal.

I did the same this weekend. Tried one after two weeks of carbonating. I agree, it is good and I expect it to be better after a couple weeks of conditioning.

I bottled it on Dec 17th. I've been trying one every week or so for the past 3 weeks. It was good 3 weeks ago but I'm going to let it keep going for a while.

I tried one Friday night after 8 weeks in the bottle. It was very bitter, as expected (66 IBU). I was very surprised by a "citrus" taste. My brain was very confused, because it tasted like much like an IPA, yet it is a dark beer. I'm very curious if the citrus taste is by design (MB hop selection), or if it is an off-flavor I need to condition out. I'll be curious to here from others.

Mr Beer sez -

Our Dark Strong Ale combines pale, crystal, chocolate, and wheat malts with liberal doses of Chinook and Amarillo hops.

I wonder how liberal of a dose of Amarillo they used? That might account for the citrusy notes. It's OK with me though, Amarillo hops are one of my favorites.

WretchedRon wrote:

Mr Beer sez -

Our Dark Strong Ale combines pale, crystal, chocolate, and wheat malts with liberal doses of Chinook and Amarillo hops.

I wonder how liberal of a dose of Amarillo they used? That might account for the citrusy notes. It's OK with me though, Amarillo hops are one of my favorites.

Well, there you have it. Thanks Ron. I can't believe I didn't see that. Or maybe I did, and forgot (CRS Syndrome).

It is nice to know the "grapefruit" taste is suppose to be there. I must say, I quite enjoyed the tester. But THAT flavor in a dark beer confused me a bit.

Okay then......bottoms up!!!!!

I've just begun cracking open this batch (bottled Dec 13).
It's a tasty one, malty and bitter with warming feeling fer sure.
I tell everyone it's strong and they won't like it. ;) I'm bad that way sometimes. :P

yankeedag wrote:

I thought I was the only one doing that... silly me for "thinking" eh?

:laugh: Thinking gets you in trouble.
There's beer at stake here! :ohmy: