Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
the sloth

hydrometer questions

I just purchased the MB hydrometer but haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet. I’m going to be bottling this week and thought I would at least get a reading of my final product. Have a few questions I hope you can help with.

Take the reading at eye level correct?

Im guessing its easier to just use the correction formula to adjust for temp than attempting to get a sample precisely at 60 degrees?

Do you put the beer in your sample jar back into the keg after taking the reading? I read ppl taking multiple samples throughout fermentation and can’t imagine wasting that much brew. But I guess that’s why everything needs to be sterilized?

Do you sterilize the spicket every time you draw a sample?

Sorry for amateur hour questions- Any other practical advice on using the hydrometer would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Watch this video, it will tell you everything you want to know and even some things you dont want to know about a hyrdrometer.
Watch the video about taking the reading he explains it really well.

Yes it is easier to correct for the temp than try to get it down to 60. You can use qbrew to make those corrections for you.

I always taste my sample. I wouldnt put it back in unless everything is sanitized.

I dont sanitize my spigot unless I am bottling.

I use the satellite method. Draw that first sample and take the reading. Once done, pour it into a clean bottle and stuff a papertowel in the top.

Use that bottle to re-measure the sample 2 days later for an updated reading. Repeat as needed.

This avoids contaminating the keg by pouring it back in and allows you to continue to get readings without drawing more beer out.

Re-sanitise the spigot before actual bottling to clean it up.

I don't take a first sample until at least ten days into fermentation. That usually gives me an idea of how close to Final Gravity I am. And I taste the sample, to see how it's coming along.

Depending on the first reading, I'll take another reading four to six days later, and taste that as well. It's amazing how much difference there can be between the two, in so short a time. And that's the reason I taste.

I don't imagine I'm losing much more than six ounces or so of beer by taking two samples.

Guest System Admin

And it is beer by gawd. Don't wast the nectar of the gods.

The beer gods get mighty angry over things like that.

G

Kealia wrote:

I use the satellite method. Draw that first sample and take the reading. Once done, pour it into a clean bottle and stuff a papertowel in the top.

Use that bottle to re-measure the sample 2 days later for an updated reading. Repeat as needed.

This avoids contaminating the keg by pouring it back in and allows you to continue to get readings without drawing more beer out.

Re-sanitise the spigot before actual bottling to clean it up.

+1 I do the same, and drink the satellite once i'm sure the SG has stabilized :cheers:

I do the satellite method as well. I use one of the 16 oz. PET bottles I've got, place the sample in there and put the cap on loosely. Set it beside the keg in the cooler and let it ferment alongside. Once I've reached my target gravity, I sacrifice that sample to the beer gods (read: down the hatch!), and bottle my brew. I actually get a pretty consistent reading doing this.

Dip a q-tip in your sanitizer, then rub it inside of the spigot.

Don't worry too much about the correction factor....if you're fermenting at 68-70F then your reading should only be off by about 1 mark.

Measured 1.015 with 68F wort, actual reading is around 1.016. Not a huge difference to be concerned with.

Colby wrote:

Don't worry too much about the correction factor....if you're fermenting at 68-70F then your reading should only be off by about 1 mark.

Measured 1.015 with 68F wort, actual reading is around 1.016. Not a huge difference to be concerned with.

I concur. What's .001 among friends? OG/4= estimated FG. I never correct for temperature. I'm just sayin'.